Today I’m sharing my Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies. These cookies are so delicious and are my most favorite gluten free cookie recipe!
This is the last week of summer and I thought it would be fun to have ice cream for our Labor Day party! What better way to eat ice cream than in a Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie! If you are looking for some fun Labor Day Party Ideas here are some ideas. https://houseofmar.com/easy-fun-party-ideas-for-labor-day/
These Ice Cream Sandwiched Cookies are so easy to make and you can place them in the freezer until the day of the party!
The recipe is actually my mom’s recipe, it’s her ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe. I made a few changes and made them gluten free!
As a kid growing up we loved when my mom made her ultimate chocolate chip cookies! They were so moist in the middle, crispy around the edges and the chocolate just melted in your mouth!
If you like gluten free cookies here is another recipe for my easy gluten free cookies. https://houseofmar.com/easy-gluten-free-cookies/
So let’s get started!
Gluten Free Flour: King Arthur’s 1 to 1 is one of my favorite Gluten Free flour’s to use in cookie recipes.
Gluten Free Baking Soda: or Sodium bicarbonate, is a very important ingredient in any gluten free cookie recipe. It helps the cookie to rise. Make sure to use a gluten free brand.
Salt: another important element in baking, salt helps to strengthen the dough.
Brown Sugar: I used an organic brown sugar for these cookies, it’s less processed.
Gluten Free Vanilla: Check to make sure it is gluten free also pure vanilla is sweeter and has a stronger vanilla taste.
Milk: I used lactose free skim milk in this recipe, oat milk works just as well.
Egg: cage free brown eggs are less processed, substitution for egg see at the bottom in tips.
Crisco Butter Flavor Stick: because Crisco is a solid fat it helps to create a fluffier cookie, and when baking gluten free we need the help to create a fluffier cookie!
Chocolate Chips: use a good quality brand of chocolate, I like milk chocolate for the sweetness.
White Chocolate Chips: use a good quality white chocolate and white chocolate is caffeine free!
Making the Dough for the Chocolate Chip Cookies
Heat oven to 375
I whisked the gluten free 1 to 1 flour with the gluten free baking soda, salt, and set aside.
Next beat together on medium speed Crisco butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and milk, making sure it’s well blended, and then add in the egg.
Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture, mix together add in your chocolate chips and mix well.
Drop by rounded measured spoonful’s on to a baking sheet 3 inches apart.
Bake for 8 to 11 minutes, cool for 2 minutes, remove the cookies and place on a wire cookie rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen medium size cookies.
Adding the ice cream to the Gluten Free cookies.
The cookies should cool completely before adding the ice cream to make the ice cream sandwiches’. Use a melon scooper place a round scoop of ice cream on top of the cookie. Place a second cookie on top of the ice cream and lightly press the cookies together. If you like add more ice cream around the sides of the cookie, but only a little as the ice cream does expand in the freezer. Sprinkles are so festive for the holidays so roll your sandwich cookie in the sprinkle’s or another add on.
1)When making gluten free ice cream sandwich cookies the cookies need to be completely cooled. If not the ice cream will melt while assembling the cookie.
2) The ice cream does expand so use a melon scooper size of ice cream.
3) These gluten free ice cream sandwich cookies can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer for up to a month.
4) Wrap well in wax paper and place in a sealed freezer container and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
5) All vanilla is not gluten free and neither is baking soda and or baking powder. Making sure to read the ingredients so you known you are using safe products.
6) Oat milk works very well in this gluten free cookie recipe as it is most like milk when baking.
7) For egg replacement, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water, or ½ a medium Banana, mashed and or ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) Apple sauce.
I hope you and your family will enjoy these Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies as much as my family and I do!
Thank you for stopping back by House of Mar!
Blessings to a wonderful weekend!!!!
You can find many of my baking items in my shop my home section or on Amazon by clicking here, https://www.amazon.com/b?tag=houseofmar6-20&linkCode=ur1&node=5622719011
Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
- 1 MIXING BOWL
- 1 Mixer
- 1 SPATULA
- 1 Measuring cups
- 1 Measuring spoons
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- 1 Scraper
- 2 Cups Gluten Free 1 to 1 Flour
- 3/4 tsp Gluten Free Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar I used organic
- 1 Tbsp Gluten Free Vanilla I used pure vanilla but imitation will work fine.
- 2 Tbsp Milk I used lactose free skim milk, you could also use oat milk in this recipe.
- 1 Egg I used a brown cage free egg
- Heat oven to 375Mix together your gluten free 1 to 1 flour, gluten free baking soda, salt and set aside.Next, beat together the shortening, brown sugar, milk, vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat in egg and blend well.Fold in the flour mixer until just blended, stir in chocolate chips.Drop by measured spoonful's onto a cookie sheet 3 inches apart.Bake 8-11 minutesLet cool for 2 minutes and then remove and place cookies on wire cookie rack to cool completely.Makes 2 dozen medium size cookies or 3 dozen smaller cookiesAfter cookies have completely cooled begin to assemble together with ice cream.Using a melon scooper size of ice cream place on top of bottom of cookie and place a second cookie on top.Gentle push the two cookies together to create a sandwich,If you like add more ice cream around the sides of the cookie sandwich only a little because the ice cream does expand once it's frozen.Wrap ice cream cookie sandwich in wax paper and place in a sealed freezer container until ready to eat.Cookies will stay up to a month in the freezer.Enjoy!