How to make an Easy Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie!
It’s fall and what better way to ring in fall than with a gluten free chicken pot pie that is so easy to make! I’ve been making this delicious gluten free chicken pot pie since I began eating gluten free. I found the recipe on a Betty Crocker web-site. I did make a few dietary changes but it still taste so good!
The ingredients in this gluten free chicken pot pie are so simple you may already have them in your kitchen! The star ingredient of course is the gluten free flour which is from Bisquick. For the chicken pot pie recipe I used Betty Crocker’s Gluten Free Bisquick mix. I find this mix works well for homemade gluten free biscuits, waffles, and also pizza crust.
This chicken pot pie is just so perfect on a cold fall day and it’s gluten free too! It only takes 25 minutes to bake and it comes out smelling delicious with a creamy gravy and toasted topping!
Okay so let’s get started making our easy gluten free chicken pot pie!
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make This Recipe:
Chicken: I used a store bought rotisserie chicken and removed the skin and cut the chicken into small pieces. About 1 1/2 cups of chicken
Butter: 2 tablespoons of butter, I used real salted butter.
Vegetables: 1 12 oz. frozen bag of mixed vegetables.
Onion: 1 medium fresh or frozen onions cut into small pieces.
Chicken 1 3/4 cups of Broth: Gluten Free Organic Chicken Broth is what I used
Seasoning Salt: 1 teaspoon of Gluten Free.
Dried Thyme: 1/2 teaspoon for extra flavor to enhance the chicken.
Milk: 3/4 cup, I used lactose free skim milk, it works very well, you could use a full fat coconut milk it may have a slight taste of coconut. Oat milk works well too.
Cornstarch: 3 tablespoons of a Gluten Free cornstarch, it’s also a great thickening agent in recipes.
Bisquick: 3/4 cup of Gluten Free Bisquick Flour:
Egg: 1 egg brown cage free eggs are usually better tolerated.
Butter: 2 tablespoons of real salted butter.
Fresh Parsley: 1 tablespoon chopped, parsley is a vegetable used as a herb, it enhances the flavor and is a good nutrient.
Preparing The Chicken Mixture:
Heat oven to 350
1) Over medium heat in a stock pot add butter and onions,
add in mixed frozen vegetables, cut up chicken, seasonings and bring to a boil.
2) In a small bowl whisk together gluten free corn starch and 3/4 cup of a milk product of your choice, until smooth and then stir into chicken mixture.
3) Cook until boiling, mixture will thicken and then pour mixture into an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish.
Prepare Topping Ingredients:
- In a small bowl stir all toppings ingredients together, Bisquick, Egg, and Butter, except for the parsley. Blend together until creamy, drop by small spoonful over the chicken mixture and then sprinkle with parsley.
2) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, let cool for 5 minutes and then enjoy!
If you like this recipe you make also like my Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cake https://houseofmar.com/gluten-free-pumpkin-spice-cake/
Tips For Making This Recipe!
Make sure to preheat your oven to ensure your recipe will cook evenly.
Using a Gluten Free Flour mixture such as Bisquick Mix will already contain ingredients to help the flour rise such as Xanthan gum, gluten free baking soda, and gluten free baking powder.
To save time I used a whole rotisserie chicken I bought from the store, but you could boil some chicken with seasonings at home.
Only cook the prepared mix ingredients until it starts to boil. Don’t let the chicken mixture over boil, if so the mixture will be come very thick. It’s better to have a creamy consistence with the chicken mixture.
Allow the gluten free chicken pot pie to cool for 5 minutes before serving, this allows all the juices to thicken up a bit.
Easy Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 2 Quart Casserole
- 1 Stock pot
- 2 Small mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing Spoons
- 1 Wire whisk
- 1 Paring Knife
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken I bought a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and used it. You could make chicken from home but it will take a little more time.
- 2 tbsp Butter I used real butter
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 bag 12 ( oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 3/4 cups Organic chicken broth
- 1 tsp Gluten Free seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 3/4 cup Milk ( of choice) I used a lactose free skim milk, oat milk or coconut milk work well.
- 3 tbsp Gluten Free corn starch
Topping For Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
- 3/4 cup Bisquick Flour Mix The mix is the Bisquick gluten free pancake & baking mix,
- 1/2 cup Milk of choice I used skim free lactose free milk, you could use oat milk or coconut milk.
- 1 Egg I used cage free brown eggs
- 2 tbsp Melted butter I used real butter salted or unsalted is fine.
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley Fresh or dried both work,
1) Heat oven to 350 Shred chicken and set aside. In a stock pot add butter and cut up onions cooking until soft, stir frequently, Stir in vegetables, cut up chicken, gluten free chicken broth, gluten free seasoning salt, thyme, heat to boiling. In a small bowl whisk together milk and gluten free cornstarch with wire whisk until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Heat until just boiling, pour mixture into an ungreased 2 quart casserole.
2)In a small bowl stir all topping ingredients except for fresh parsley until blended. Drop by small spoonful's over the chicken mixture. Sprinkle the top of mixture with parsley.
3) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, remove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving!
These are some of the items I used to make my Easy Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie.
You can find these items on Amazon by clicking the links provided.